Partly cloudy. High near 80F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph..
Clear skies. Low 58F. Winds light and variable.
Updated: August 17, 2022 @ 2:12 pm
The annual Spotlight: Charlie Parker will celebrate the Kansas City jazz legend with musical performances, tributes and more Aug. 21-27 at venues throughout the city.
A free kickoff event at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 23 at the Kansas City Public Library-Plaza Branch will feature a roundtable discussion examining Parker’s relationship to his hometown. Parker was born Aug. 29, 1920, in Kansas City, Kansas.
Among the musical highlights will be the “In the Yard” Outdoor Concert with Jackiem Joyner and the Shedrick Mitchell Trio featuring Christie Dashiell at the American Jazz Museum (5 p.m. Aug. 27) and the Dan Thomas Quintet featuring Bobby Watson at Tom’s Town Distilling Co. (7 p.m. Aug. 27). Two home-grown musicians, Morgan Faw and Houston Smith, will be artists-in-residence for the event.
For tickets and more information, go to spotlightcharlieparker.org.
▪ The Devil Wears Prada with Stray From the Path and Dying Wish, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 18, The Truman ($22-$44). thetrumankc.com.
▪ Alice in Chains and Breaking Benjamin, 5:30 p.m. Aug. 19, Azura Amphitheater ($29.89-$125). azuraamp.com.
▪ Midwest Reggae Fest, 5:30 p.m. Aug. 19, Gem Theater ($10-$40). eventbrite.com.
▪ Carin Leon, 7 p.m. Aug. 19, Arvest Bank Theatre at the Midland ($42-$142). midlandkc.com.
▪ Boz Scaggs with Robert Cray Band and Jeff LeBlanc, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 19, Kauffman Center ($55.50-$65.50). kauffmancenter.org.
▪ Calvin Arsenia, 8:30 p.m. Aug. 19, Nerman Museum law (free). jccc.edu/midwest-trust-center/events.
▪ Turnpike Troubadours, 6 p.m. Aug. 20, Azura Amphitheater ($39.50). azuraamp.com.
▪ A Day to Remember with The Ghost Inside, Beartooth and Bad Omens, 6 p.m. Aug. 21, Azura Amphitheater ($34.75-$65). azuraamp.com.
▪ Happy Together featuring The Turtles, Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, The Association and more, 7 p.m. Aug. 21, Kauffman Center ($57.50-$97.50). kauffmancenter.org.
▪ Kendrick Lamar with Baby Keem and Tanna Leone, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 21, T-Mobile Center ($59-$179). t-mobilecenter.com.
▪ At The Gates with Municipal Waste and Enforced, 8 p.m. Aug. 23, Granada ($35-$40). thegranada.com.
▪ Chris Botti, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 24, Yardley Hall ($20-$115). jccc.edu/midwest-trust-center/events.
▪ $uicideboy$ with Ski Mask the Slump God and more, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 24, Azura Amphitheater ($39.50-$69.50). azuraamp.com.
▪ Alicia Keys, 8 p.m. Aug. 24, Starlight ($39.50-$249.50). kcstarlight.com.
▪ Ethnic Enrichment Festival, 6-10 p.m. Aug. 19, noon-10 p.m. Aug. 20, noon-6 p.m. Aug. 21, Swope Park ($5). eeckc.org.
▪ Parkville Days, 6-10 p.m. Aug. 19, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Aug. 20, noon-5 p.m. Aug. 21, Downtown Parkville (free). parkvillemo.org.
▪ Croatian Festival, 5-10 p.m. Aug. 20, St. John the Baptist Croatian Parish, Kansas City Kansas (free). stjohnthebaptistcatholicchurch.com.
▪ The long-delayed exhibition “Maya: The Great Jaguar Rises” will open Aug. 19 at Union Station, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily through Jan. 31 ($14.50-$19.50). unionstation.org.
▪ The Barn Players will stage the musical comedy “First Date” at the Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, opens 7:30 p.m. Aug. 19; runs through Aug. 28 ($15-$20). thebarnplayers.org.
▪ The Olathe Civic Theatre Association will present “Bonds, Bail Bonds: The Ridiculous Rendition of the Beginning of Bail Bonds” at Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm, 5 and 7:30 p.m. Aug. 20 ($10-$20). mahaffie.org.
▪ The Kemper Museum Block Party Art will feature art making, food and drinks, music and the movie “Twister,” 6-10:30 p.m. Aug. 20 (free). kemperart.org.
▪ Burlesque Downtown Underground will present “Heroes and Villains!” at the Bird Comedy Theater, 7 and 9:30 p.m. Aug. 20 ($25). kcburlesque.com.
▪ Kansas City’s Great Balloon Glow will offer live music and tethered hot air balloons against the backdrop of the Liberty Memorial and the National WWI Museum, 8:30 p.m. Aug. 20; grounds open at 5 p.m. (free). theworldwar.org.
▪ “Dying to Party” from Melting Pot Theatre will run at Just Off Broadway Theatre, 10 a.m. Aug. 24, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 25-26, 2 and 7:30 p.m. Aug. 27 ($17.25-$27.50). kcmeltingpot.com.
©2022 The Kansas City Star. Visit kansascity.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Copyright 2022 Tribune Content Agency.
Sorry, an error occurred.
Sign up with
Thank you .
Your account has been registered, and you are now logged in.
Check your email for details.
Invalid password or account does not exist
Sign in with
Submitting this form below will send a message to your email with a link to change your password.
An email message containing instructions on how to reset your password has been sent to the e-mail address listed on your account.
Secure & Encrypted
Secure transaction. Cancel anytime.
Your purchase was successful, and you are now logged in.
A receipt was sent to your email.